Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Add Reply
New Poll

Our US Ambassador
montdav
 Posted: Jul 8 2018, 04:12 PM

Administrator
Group: Admin

Originally posted by Pete Nash on the old SW...

I wondered whether to put this in the Introductions section but as Don hasn't yet signed up and he may well figure in Striker's development plans, I thought a new thread here is more appropriate.

Don is the American guy I mentioned who has subscribed to the digital comic as well as buying all four Striker books to date. He has told me he lives in Dallas but was born in Pennsylvania, raised in New York, worked on Wall Street and has also lived in Chicago, St Louis and New Orleans. He loves Britain and listens to Talksport in his car via his iphone app!

He is delighted to have been asked to come up with a name and background for Striker's first US team so I have made him the founder member of Striker's US fan club! He sounds like a great guy and is happy for me to post his reply to me on this forum:

I am indeed a Yank, but not new to Striker.

First, please let me say what an unexpected bonus and honor it is to receive a message from the creator of Striker.

I grew up playing American football in high school and university, and outside of a few PE classes in grade school and high school never played organized football. But I've never been one of the many Americans so dismissive of world football. It always occurred to me if the rest of the planet thinks this is the greatest game ever created, there must be something to it. Looking back, growing up in New York in the '70's and having the Cosmos on local TV may have helped, but that being said, my Dad and I never went to a match.

Fast forward to Fall of 2005 (to the best of my recollection I watched the occasional world cup match from USA '94 on but never really pursued my football interest beyond that).

The guy who owned the company with the contract to provide and take care of all the plants in the office tower I worked in at that time (he's also American, but was turned on to football from a British colleague of his wife) always wore team shirts as he would walk all the floors of the building and check on the health of the plants. So one day he's in my office, and he's wearing a Real Madrid shirt, and I finally ask him, "What's with the badge being so small and the sponsor logo being so big? You don't see that in the US?" He stops what he's doing and says, "I am so glad you asked.
You're literally the first person in this entire building to ask me anything about my soccer jerseys. Now, I could explain it to you, but why don't you come to my football pub and watch a match with my friends and I and let us explain the game to you in a proper setting." I agree to attend, that Saturday in the pub are about 30 men, some of whom I later learn have actually been capped for the US Men's side back in the day. I saw a match through their eyes for 90 minutes, and I was hooked. It all became clear why this is the most popular game in the world. I became a huge fan and watched as much as I could on TV.

In 2011 I made a pilgrimage to London to see a live match, and picked up a copy of The Sun while there. That was the first time I was exposed to Striker. Upon my return to the US, I started reading the Sun website on a daily basis, and bought a digital subscription to the Sun so I could read it in tabloid form on my iPad. And that's how I've kept up with Striker every single day since March 2011, but have always been curious to have a better understanding of the backstory/history of the strip and the characters, and have stopped by the Planet Striker site a few times to try and do so.

A couple years later I started listening to Talksport via their app, and found that you would appear on the Hawksbee and Jacobs Show on occasion given Andy Jacobs' "guilty pleasure" of reading Striker, in addition to his frequent references to the Striker storyline on air.

A couple of weeks ago I heard you on their show discussing the kickstarter campaign, and the opportunity to help with both your evolution of the strip as well as purchase the volumes with the backstory was too good to pass up, and more than a fair trade for the entertainment you've given me over the past 7 years.

So that's my story. My apologies if I overstepped your question of wanting to know a bit more about me; what I've written above certainly exceeds the definition of "a bit".

One question for you if I may, Pete, that I've been dying to know: Why no USA or Canadian teams in the World League? I've got to believe that was a conscious omission.

Again, such a pleasure to hear from you, and best of luck with the project!
Cheers,
Don
PMEmail
^
D_Adam
 Posted: Jul 9 2018, 04:06 AM

Group: Members

Greetings everyone. Honoured to be Striker's US ambassador, and very confident that you will find an adoring audience on this side of the pond! Cheers, Don
PM
^
bumperlady
 Posted: Jul 9 2018, 06:38 PM

Advanced Member
Group: Members

Hi, Big welcome from all us Strikerworld members. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't shoot the Meerkat, I'm loveable!
PMEmail
^
stevenUK1
 Posted: Jul 9 2018, 06:41 PM

Advanced Member
Group: Moderators

QUOTE (D_Adam @ Jul 9 2018, 04:06 AM)
Greetings everyone.  Honoured to be Striker's US ambassador, and very confident that you will find an adoring audience on this side of the pond!  Cheers, Don

Glad to see you've come across to the new Striker World. Look forward to your input.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll